A Virtual Library of Useful URLs – Arranged by Dewey Decimal Classification
332-337 Social Sciences
- 301 Anthropology, (Cultural anthropology), (Social anthropology), (Physical anthropology), (Archaeology), (Linguistics), (Ethnology), (Ethnography), (Indigenous peoples)
- 302.2 Signs and symbols, Communication
- 302.23 Mass media, (Mass communication), (Media), (TV), (Magazines), (Radio), (Newspapers)
- 303.3 Quality of life, Social values, Values, (Best employers)
- 303.6 Terrorism, Terrorists – Biography
- 304.6 Population, Birthrate, Mortality, Vital statistics, Human fertility, (Death rate), (Mortuary statistics), (Demography), (Birth rate), (Marriage statistics)
- 305.23 Children, Children and adults, Child development, (Child rearing), (Child abuse), (Child welfare), (Teenagers), (Teenage pregnancy)
- 305.26 Aging, Retirement, (Senior citizens), (Seniors), (Aged), Elderly, Gerontology, Old age, (Older adults)
- 305.4 Women, Women – Identity, (Women – History), (Women – Social Conditions)
- 305.5 Poverty
- 305.892 Arabs
- 305.896 Blacks, African Americans, (Afro-Americans), (Blacks – United States), (Black History Month), Blacks – Canada, Blacks – Great Britain
- 306.81 Marriage
- 306.85 Family
- 307.76 City life, Cities and towns, Urban sociology, (Town life), (Urban life)
- 310 Statistics
- 314.1 Great Britain – Census, United Kingdom – Census, Great Britain – Statistics, United Kindgom – Statistics
- 317.1 Canada – Census, Canada – Statistics
- 317.3 United States – Census, United States – Statistics
- 319.4 Australia – Census, Australia – Statistics
- 320.1 Political science, Political ethics
- 322.4 Ku Klux Klan, (K.K.K.)
- 323 Human rights, Civil rights, United States – Civil rights, Blacks – Civil rights, African Americans – Civil rights, (Basic rights)
- 323.3 Women’s rights, Women’s movement, Feminism, (Women – Civil rights), (Women – Emancipation), (Women – Equal rights), (Women – Suffrage)
- 323.44 Freedom of action, Freedom of information, Freedom of religion, Freedom of speech, Freedom of the press, Intellectual freedom, Books – Censorship, (Banned books), (Social justice), (Equality)
- 323.6 Citizenship, Citizenship – Australia, Citizenship – Canada, Citizenship – United Kingdom, Citizenship – United States
- 324.271 Political parties – Canada, Conservative Party of Canada, Liberal Party of Canada, New Democratic Party, (Canadian Federal Political Parties)
- 324.273 Political parties – United States, Democratic Party (U.S.), Republican Party (U.S.), Third Parties (United States politics)
- 325 Immigrants, Immigration and emigration
- 326 Underground railroad, Slavery – United States, Abolitionists, (Abolition of slavery)
- 327.1 Peace, Peace movement, Arms control, Arms race, (Disarmament)
- 330.1 Lost and found possessions, (Lost pets), (Lost articles), (Found items)
- 331 Labor market, (United States – Bureau of Labor Statistics)
- 331.25 Pensions, Retirement income, Military pensions, Old age pensions, (Social security), (Naval pensions), (War pensions), (Old age insurance), (Compensation), (Survivor’s benefits), Disability benefits), (Children’s benefits), (Retirement pension)
- 331.3 Age and employment, Children – Employment, (Child labor)
- 331.5 Apprentices, (Employees – Training), (Occupational training), (Labor)
- 331.7 Occupations, (Jobs), (Careers), (Job search), (Employment), (Trades), Vocational guidance
- 332.024 Personal finance, Estate planning, Saving and thrift, (Financial planning, Personal), (Finance, Personal), (Budgets, Personal)
- 332.1 Banks and banking, Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM)
- 332.10971 Banks and banking – Canada
- 332.10973 Banks and banking – United States
- 332.4 Money, Paper money, Gold, Inflation (Finance), (Currency), (Standard of value), (Legal tender), Exchange, Foreign exchange, (Exchange rates)
- 332.63 Stocks, (Stock market), (Stock quotes), Bonds, Mutual funds, Securities, (Investments), (Foreign investments)
- 332.64 Stock exchange, (Securities exchange)
- 332.7 Credit cards, (Bank credit cards), (Banks and banking – Credit cards), Loans, Mortgages, Consumer credit
- 332.8 Interest (Economics), Interest rates, (Prime rates)
- 333.33 Real estate business, Houses – Buying and selling, (Home buying), (Home purchase), (Real property), (Realty), (Apartments), (Rentals)
- 333.95 Biological diversity, (Biodiversity), Endangered species, Plant conservation, (Threatened species), (Vanishing species), Extinction (Biology)
- 336.2 Taxation, (Income tax), (IRS), (CRA), (CCRA), (Revenue Canada), (Tax returns), (Taxes)
- 336.3 Public debts, (Government debts), (National debts)
- 338 Entrepreneurs, Entrepreneurship, (Home-based business), (Small business), Businesspeople, (Business people), (Self-employed), (Freelancers)
- 338.1 Farm produce – Marketing, (Farmers markets), (Agricultural products), (Farm crops)
- 338.4 Consumer goods, (Consumer products), (Merchandise)
- 338.5 Consumer price indexes, (Cost of living indexes)
- 338.7 Business enterprises, Corporations (Business organizations), (Businesses), (Firms), (Companies)
- 338.9 Subsidies, Economic policy, (Grants), (Federal aid), (Business and government), (Economic planning)
- 340 Law, (Jurisprudence), (Laws), (Statutes), (Case law), (Legal forms), Law – Directories
Governments: (See countries, e.g.:
- 341.3 Embassies and consulates, Diplomacy, Diplomatic and consular service, International relations
- 345 Trials (Homicide), Criminal law, Trials (Murder), (Manslaughter), (Crime), (Offenses against the person), (War crime trials), (Courts martial and courts of inquiry), (Poisons and poisoning)
- 345.052 Wiretapping – Law and legislation
- 346.0434 Landlord and Tenant
- 346.05 Estate planning, Inheritance and transfer tax, (Tax planning), (Personal finance)
- 346.4 Copyright, Fair use (Copyright), (Intellectual property), (Literary property), (International copyright), (Cyberlaw), Trademarks, (Logos), (Company symbols), (Corporate symbols), (Trade marks)
- 347.053 Class actions
- 349.71 Law – Canada
- 349.73 Law – United States
- 352.230941 Prime ministers – Great Britain
- 352.230971 Prime ministers – Canada
- 352.230973 Presidents – United States
- 353.8 School boards, (Boards of education) – See 371.2 Schools – Administration
- 355 Military readiness
- 358.38 Biological warfare, (Bacterial warfare), (Germ warfare)
- 361.6 Social policy, (Government policy), (National planning), (Social planning)
- 361.7068 Fund raising, (Fundraising)
- 361.8 Charities, (Charity organization), (Charitable institutions)
- 362.1 Hospitals, Hospitals – United States
- 362.2 Mentally ill, (Insane), (Insanity), (Sanity), (Mentally deranged)
- 362.29 Alcoholism, Drug abuse, Substance abuse, (Addiction to alcohol), (Drug addiction)
- 362.4 Handicapped, (Disabled), Deaf, Deafness, Hearing impaired, Physically handicapped
- 362.7 Child support, Child abuse, Child sexual abuse, Child welfare, Abandoned children, (Deadbeat dads), (Deadbeat moms), (Deadbeat parents)
- 362.8297 Missing children
- 363.1 Accidents – Prevention, Safety education, (Safety measures), (Water safety)
- 363.12 Aircraft accidents, (Aeronautics – Accidents), (Air crashes), (Airplane accidents), (Aviation accidents), (Plane crashes)
- 363.1251 Drunk driving, (Driving while intoxicated), (Driving under the influence of alcohol)
- 363.17 Poisons and poisoning, Hazardous substances, (Toxic substances)
- 363.2 Police, Law enforcement
- 363.25 Fingerprints, Fingerprints – Identification, Criminal investigation, Criminals – Identification, Forensic sciences
- 363.28 Secret Service
- 363.34 Disaster relief, (Disaster preparedness), (Emergency preparedness)
- 363.7 Environment, Environmental protection, Noise pollution, (Pollution – Prevention), (Pollution control), (Conservation movement), (Green movement), (Ecological movement)
- 363.72 Hazardous wastes, (Toxic wastes)
- 363.738 Acid rain
- 363.739 Pollution, Air pollution – Measurement, (Atmosphere – Pollution), Water pollution, (Soil pollution)
- 364 Crime
- 364.1 Computer crimes, Impostors and imposture, (Hoaxes), (Charlatans), (Pretenders), (Chain letters)
- 364.15 Homicide, (Murder), Sex crimes, Rape, Child sexual abuse, (Sexual crimes)
- 364.16 Fraud, False personation, Credit card crimes, Swindlers and swindling, (Identity theft), (Con artists), (Con game)
- 364.6 Capital punishment, (Death penalty), (Executions), (Hanging)
- 368 Insurance
- 370 Education
- 370.19 Foreign study, Foreign students, (College students), (Overseas study), (Study abroad)
- 371 Schools (K-12), (K12), (Education), (Homework)
- 371.04 Home schooling, (Home-based education), (Home education), (Home instruction), (Home teaching by parents), (Homeschooling)
- 371.102 Teaching, (Art of teaching), (Methods of teaching)
- 371.12 (Teacher qualifications), (Professional qualifications of teachers), (Certification of teachers)
- 371.2 Schools – Administration, (School management and organization), (Acceptable use policy – AUP)
- 371.26 Educational tests and measurements, Examinations, Intelligence tests, Psychological tests, Ability – Testing, (Tests), (Achievement tests), (Objective tests), (Educational measurements), (Intelligence testing), (Mental tests), (IQ tests), (I.Q. tests)
- 371.3 Teaching – Aids and devices, Teaching machines, Programmed instruction, Computer assisted instruction, (Instructional materials), (Teaching materials), (Lesson plans)
- WebQuests – Web-based lesson plans (Internet activities for educational purposes)
- 371.3028 Homework, Study skills, (Art of learning), (Method of study), (Study strategies)
- 371.39 Tutors and tutoring, (Tutorial), (Tutorials), (Learning), (Education at home), (Home instruction), (Courses of study)
- 371.42 Vocational guidance, (Vocational education), (Career education)
- 371.7 Safety education, School violence, (Student violence), (School vandalism), (Violence in schools), (Accidents – Prevention)
- 372 Elementary schools
- 372.1 Babysitting
- 373 High schools
- 374 Discussion groups, Voice chat
- 374.0973 Literacy – United States – Statistics, Adult education – United States, Educational surveys – United States
- 377.2 Character, Moral education, (Character education)
- 378 Colleges and universities
- 378.13 Alumni and alumnae – Directories
- 378.3 Scholarships, Student aid, Student loan funds, (Bursaries), (Fellowships), (Scholarship funds), (Student financial assistance)
- 379.158 School standards and accreditation, (Educational standards)
380.1 Markets, and 381 Telemarketing (See
- 380.106 Chamber of commerce, (Boards of trade)
- 381.13 Franchises (Retail trade)
- 382 International economic relations, International trade, (International organization), (Internatioal cooperation), (World economics), (Economic planning), (Social policy)
- 383 Postal service, Postal code, Zip code, Postage stamps, (Mail service), (Post office)
- 384 Electronic mail systems (E-mail or email addresses), Telephone (Telephone directories), Video telephone, Chat dictionaries, Data transmission systems, Telecommunication, (Wireless)
- 384.54 Radio stations, Radio broadcasting, Radio programs, Amateur radio stations, (Ham radio stations), (High-frequency radio), (Citizens band radio)
- 384.55 Television, Television broadcasting, Public television, Television and youth, Television and children, (Educational television)
- 387.155 Lighthouses
- 387.7 Airlines
- 388.4 City traffic, Traffic engineering, Local transit, (Street traffic), (Urban traffic), (Highway transportation)
- 391 Costume, Fashion, Clothing and dress
- 391.413 Shoes, (Footwear), (Boots)
- 392.5 Weddings, Marriage customs and rites, (Bridal customs), (Honeymoon)
- 393 Cemeteries, (Burying grounds), (Churchyards), (Graves), (Graveyards)
– See also
- 394.268 Christmas, Christmas customs, Christmas cards, Christmas decorations, (Santa Claus), (St. Nicholas), (St. Nick), (Xmas)
- 395 Etiquette
- 398 Folklore, (Folk lore), (Folk tales), (Traditions)
- 398.2 Fables, Fairy tales, Legends, Urban legends (Hoaxes)
- 398.22 Arthurian romances, Grail, (King Arthur), (Holy Grail), (Arthur, King – Romances), (Knights of the Round Table)
- 398.24 Mythical animals, Animals – Folklore, Dragons, (Monsters)
- 398.8 Nursery rhymes
332.024 Personal finance, Estate planning, Saving and thrift, (Financial planning, Personal), (Finance, Personal), (Budgets, Personal)
|All Your Worth:|
The Ultimate Lifetime Money Plan
|The Money Book for the Young,|
Fabulous and Broke
CANOE Money: Personal Finance provides information and links: (scroll down to see related News) Home Buying, Investment, Mutual Funds, RRSP, Financial Tools with calculators, Tips on Managing Your Credit, and more.
CU Succeed Resources. Credit Union Teens Financial Network. Contents: My Budget, My Calculators (Credit Card Payoff Calculator, Loan Calculator, Savings Calculator, Auto Loan Calculator), My Car, My College, My Credit, My Job, My Links, My Savings, and Financial Glossary.
The Distinguished Advisor Knewsmagazine from The Knowledge Bureau. Features include: Financial Planning, Tax Planning, Estate Planning, Investment Planning, Insurance Planning, Retirement Planning. See also Archived News.
Financial Planning from AARP – American Association of Retired Persons. See also Credit and Debt, Estate Planning, Investing and Saving, Reverse Mortgages, Legal Issues: Resources including Self-Help Guides: What Is a Will? Wills FAQ, Power of Attorney FAQ, Buying or Selling a Home, and more.
Money Learning Center Articles. Topics include: Finance Your Next Car – Using Your Money! Mutual Funds, Stocks: A Simple Explanation, History of Paper Money in the U.S., Mortgage Myth, Social Security Illusion, Understanding Annuities, Lies vs. Truth.
332.1 Banks and banking, Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM)
ATM Locations from The Exchange, 24/7 access to accounts at over 1,350 full-service ATMs across Canada. See also Search Systems: Directory: U.S. Nationwide / Banking, Search Systems: Directory: Canada Nationwide / Banking, VISA ATM Cash Machine Locator – International, includes Airport Cash Machines, Master Card ATM Locator – U.S., Canada, International – Search by Country / City / Address, Master Card ATM Locator – Search by Airport.
ATM Locator – VISA. Find ATM locations closest to you. Select a region and/or country, enter name of city, zip or postal code. Site will provide a detailed map indicating all the locations closest to your stated address. Also available is a list of Airport ATMs for airports around the world complete with terminal diagrams. See also ATM Locator – MasterCard and the nearest Express Cash ATM for American Express.
332.10971 Banks and banking – Canada
- AMEX Online Banking (AMEX Bank of Canada, American Express – Canada)
- Bank of Canada
- Bank of East Asia (Canada)
- Bank of Montreal (BMO), BMO Bank of Montreal ABM / Branch Locator
- Business Development Bank of Canada
- Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), CIBC ABM Locator, CIBC Branch Locator
- Canadian Western Bank
- Citizens Bank of Canada, Citizens Bank of Canada ATMs
- HSBC – Canada [Origin of HSBC = Hong Kong and Shanghai Banking Corporation], HSBC Branch Locator
- ING DIRECT
- Intesa Bank Canada [Merger between two leading European banks: Banca Intesa and Banca Commerciale Italiana (BCI), completed in May 2001. On November 14, 2001, BCI Bank changed its name to IntesaBci Canada. On May 1, 2003, IntesaBci Canada changed its name to Intesa Bank Canada. On May 31, 2004, Intesa Bank Canada was sold to HSBC Bank Canada]
- Laurentian Bank, B2B Trust: A Subsidiary of Laurentian Bank
- National Bank of Canada, National Bank of Canada Branches, Automated Banking Machines
- Royal Bank (RBC Financial Group), RBC Royal Bank Branch & ATM Locator
- Scotiabank (Bank of Nova Scotia), Scotiabank Branch & ABM Locator
- State Bank of India (Canada)
- TD Canada Trust (Toronto-Dominion Bank), TD Canada Trust Branch / Green Machine Locator
- Canadian Credit Union Branch Locator, Canadian Credit Union ATMs
Bank of Canada. Bank Notes, Bank Rate, Exchange Rate Converter, Inflation Calculator, Rates and Statistics, Canada Savings Bonds, Currency, Financial Markets, Monetary Policy, Inflation, Canadian Interest Rates (past 10 years), Overnight Rate, Unclaimed Bank Accounts: Unclaimed Balances Search Facility for lost or forgotten bank accounts due to inactivity. Note: Canadian Law specifies all unclaimed or unverified bank accounts for 10 years must be removed from the books of financial insititutions and transferred to Bank of Canada. Contents of safety deposit boxes are not affected.
Canadian Bankers Association. Contents include: Information Booklets (Getting Started in Small Business, Investing Your Dollars, Managing Money, Mortgage Wise, Planning for Retirement), Fast Facts, Statistics, Speeches, Canadian Banker Magazine, and Financial Calculators: Inflation Calculator, Currency Convertor, Financial Service Charges Calculator, Credit Card Costs Calculator, Calculators for Canadians, and Mutual Fund Fee Impact Calculator.
332.10973 Banks and banking – United States
Banks and Banking. Title 12 of United States Code. Legal aspects of banks and banking plus rules, forms, appendices, and other additional material.
Banks in the United States from The Internationalist. American banks listed in alphabetical order.
Check Clearing for the 21st Century Act from the Federal Reserve Board.
Money Cafe – United States. Topics include: Bank Directory, ATM Locators, Online Payment Systems, Banking Library, Savings Calculators, Loan Calculators, Banking Glossaries, and Banking Links.
332.4 Money, Paper money, Gold, Inflation (Finance), (Currency), (Standard of value), (Legal tender), Exchange, Foreign exchange, (Exchange rates)
All About Gold by Tom Rose. View from a Christian perspective – The Christian Statesman, published by the National Reform Association.
Bank of Canada – Exchange Rates. Contents: Daily Noon Rates for past 5 business days, Daily Noon Rates for past 7 business days, Search Daily Rates for past 10 years, Currency Converter for Canadian or U.S. Dollars for past 10 years (search by countries, from Argentine pesos to Venezuelan bolivars), Search Monthly Averages for past 10 years, Monthly Averages for 2001, 2002, 2003, Annual Averages from 1997-2002, and Latest US$/CAN$ Closing Rates. Read about the important role of The Exchange Rate in Canada’s economy.
The Bureau of Engraving and Printing (BEP). U.S. Department of the Treasury. Contents include: U.S. Banknotes – front and back views of U.S. dollar bills from $1.00 to $100.00, Anti-Counterfeiting, Money Facts, Shredded and Mutilated Currency, Collector Fact Sheets, plus a colorful, noisy and busy BEP for Kids designed for ages 5-8 and 9-13 with fun facts and games.
Colonial Currency from University of Notre Dame, IN. See photos of original paper money, some printed, some handwritten. Currency examples are arranged alphabetically by Colonies/ States (1709 to 1790) followed by Continental Currency (1775-1779), Colonial Lottery Tickets (1744-1782), and Colonial Fiscal Documents (1777-1790).
Currency Museum of the Bank of Canada. The National Currency Collection contains some 100,000 items consisting of coins, tokens and paper money.
Current Value of Old Money. How Much is that Worth Today Internationally, in Great Britain, in Europe, and in the United States. Historical Exchange Rates, Prices in Ancient Rome, Estimating World GDP from One Million B.C. to Present, US Inflation and Cost of Living Calculator, Past, Present & Future of Money, History and Chronology of Money, Numismatics, E-Money, and much more.
Department of the Treasury: The Learning Vault. FAQ – Frequently Asked Questions about Production and Circulation of United States Currency Notes, plus Portraits and Designs on Currency Notes, Denominations, Buying, Selling and Redeeming Currency Notes, and Legal Tender Status of Currency Notes.
Gold – Frequently Asked Questions from World Gold Council. Questions include: How can I buy or sell gold? Where can I find the daily gold price? How much is a gram of gold worth? How much gold is still underground? Where is gold mined?
How Much Is That? from EH.Net. Comparative value between the past and today. Contents include:
- How much is that worth today? Comparing the purchasing power of money in the United States (or colonies) from 1665 to 2005.
- How much is that worth today? Comparing the purchasing power of money in Great Britain from 1264-2005.
- What was the inflation rate then? Compute inflation rate in United States between 1666 and 2005, and in Great Britain between 1601 and 2005.
- What was the price of gold then? Price of gold, 1257-2001.
- Exchange rate between the United States dollar and 40 other countries, 1913-1999.
- What was the interest rate then? Interest rate series for the United Kingdom and the United States, 1790-2001.
Inflation Conversion Factors for Dollars 1665 to Estimated 2014. Find out Movie Ticket Prices from various years, Pay of Presidents and Members of Congress, Price of Gasoline 1949 to 1999, Price of Gold 1835 to 1999, Millionaires Then and Now, etc. in Current Dollars.
Know Your Money from the United States Secret Service. Contents: History of United States Currency, Characteristics of U.S. Paper Currency, Damaged or Worn Out Money, How to Detect Counterfeit Money, Counterfeit Coins, Illustration of Currency, Altered Government Checks, It’s The Law, and Counterfeit Note Report Download.
Money Matters. Brief summary about money in Canada, Canadian Bank Notes, Canadian Coins, Tipping, and Examples of prices for services and goods (in Vancouver area).
The New Color of Money. Safer. Smarter. More Secure. Newly designed U.S. currency was issued beginning with the $20 note on October 9, 2003. New designs for the $50 and $100 note will follow in 2004 and 2005.
OANDA: The Currency Site. OANDA = Olsen & Associates, O and A, for short. Site provides currency conversion information and services to travelers, investors and businesses worldwide. Currency Converter is a free, current, real time, online service covering 164 currencies. A Travelers Currency Cheat Sheet provides a quick conversion from one currency to another. Choice of conversion by amount, your specified date, and selected countries. You can get the OANDA currency Cheat Sheet with the exchange rate on any day from January 1, 1990 through today. Available in English, Deutsch, Francais, Italiano, Portugues, Espanol, and Svenska.
Paper Money WWW Directory. Worldwide coverage of paper money directories. Numerous links: Collectors (world paper money collections), Dealers (buy and sell banknotes, coins, etc.), Interactive (paper money chat groups), Internet Services (auctions, marketplace for dealers and collectors), Organizations (range from the Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco to Canadian Tire and its coupon money), Other (includes auction firms), Reference (include prevention of counterfeits), Software (to keep track of collections by cataloging paper notes and coins), and Stocks & Bonds (online catalogs of collectible stocks and bonds).
Timeline of Money . From Timelines of History.
Tom Chao’s Paper Money Gallery. World Bank Notes. Samples of paper money from many countries.
What the Fall of the Dollar Really Means. November 24, 2004 · For the seventh time in a month, the U.S. dollar hit a record low against the euro, falling to $1.3160 from $1.3086. In recent months, the U.S. dollar has also lost ground to the yen and the Canadian dollar. Other questions include: Why do we want foreign investment in the U.S. dollar? What happens if the dollar continues to slide? Does the dollar’s fall signal a shift in global economic power?
Where’s George? in U.S.A. Where’s Willy? in Canada. DoshTracker in U.K. Euro Bill Tracker in Europe. Wo ist Mein Geld? Where is My Money tracking site in Germany. Osatsu (bill)? Japanese Money Tracking Site in Japan. These money tracking sites will track your money if you enter the serial numbers. See how far a bill has traveled, just for fun.
XE.com – The Universal Currency Converter. Allows you to perform interactive foreign exchange rate conversion on the Internet instantly.
332.63 Stocks, (Stock market), (Stock quotes), Bonds, Mutual funds, Securities, (Investments), (Foreign investments)
|The Richest Man|
|The Instant Millionaire:|
A Tale of Wisdom
ADVFN – Advanced Financial Network. Free stock quotes, stock charts, market news and streaming real-time share prices. FOREX and OFEX quotes are live. NYSE and AMEX quotes are delayed by at least 20 minutes. All other quotes are delayed by at least 15 minutes unless otherwise stated. See also ADVFN UK.
Alternative Minimum Tax 101 – Guide to the AMT from Tax Guide for Investors. Includes: Top 10 Things that Cause AMT Liability, AMT and Long-Term Capital Gain, Claiming AMT Credit – You may be able to claim AMT credit from exercising an incentive stock option even if you haven’t sold the shares.
AmericanBulls Stock Scan for North American Stock Markets with Candlestick Analysis.
- U.S. and Canadian Stock Market Indices
- Dow Jones Industrial
- New York Composite Index (NYSE)
- AMEX Composite Index
- NASDAQ Composite Index
- NASDAQ OTC 100 Index
- S & P 500 Index
- Russell 2000 Index
- TSE 300 Composite Index (TSX)
- S&P TSE 60 Index
- S&P CDNX Composite Index – Canadian Venture Exchange.
Barchart.com. Includes Learning Center, Information on U.S. Markets, Futures, Funds, Signals, Symbol Search, Chart, Quote, Technicals, Sectors, Opinion, Snapshot, Advanced, Performance, Projections, and more.
BigCharts. At BigCharts Homepage, click on BigReports, toggle between US and CA (Canada) for stock quotes. Comprehensive and easy-to-use online charting and investment research.
Bloomberg.com. Top financial and world news, stock market update and quotes (NYSE/AMEX delayed 20 min., NASDAQ delayed 15 min.), rates and bonds, currencies, commodities, technology, US economy, free weekday e-mail report on top stories.
BMO InvestorLine Canadian Leading Online Brokerage, from Bank of Montreal. Check out their new Active Trader Program with reduced commission rates of $9.95 per trade. Includes Level II Quotes where you can see details of current Bid and Ask numbers, as well as Real-time Streaming Quotes for 5 Star Program Gold Star clients. Consistently winning top place honors as the best Online Direct Investing service in Canada. See BMO Investorline Online Investing Awards.
Canadian Financial Network. The CFN Collection consists of over 6000 international online financial resources, most are free.
Canadian Market & Economy. Categories: Economic Analysis & Commentary, Market Data: Market Digest, Stock Quotes (Canoe), Stock Quotes (Excite), Stock Graphing, Major Canadian Indices, Canada Most Actives, The Major Indexes – Complete TSE Listings, Bonds, Mutual Funds, as well as Investor Tools, Stock Exchanges, Government & Regulators, Broker & Online Trading, and Business Magazines.
Canadian Securities Administrators (CSA) – Investor Information. Includes Investing and the Internet: Be Alert to Signs of Fraud, The Basics of Investing, Ten Tips to Help Safeguard Your Money, Mutual Fund Fee Impact Calculator from Investor Education Fund, Investor Education for Kids, and more.
Canoe Money. Canadian focus. News, Markets, Mutual Funds, Learn about Small Business, Banking in Canada: Credit, Income, Mortgages, Car Loan Rates, Credit Card Rates, Personal Loans, GIC Rates, Interest Rates, Mortgage Rates, Loan, Lease, and Mortgage Calculators, RRSP and Tax News, Currency Rates, RRIF, and more.
CBS MarketWatch. Provides fast breaking news, with award-winning data, tools, research and charts.
ChartFilter. A free technical analysis education site. ChartFilter’s free Newsletter takes popular technical indicators against historical stocks and walks the investor through the analysis.
Credit Ratings: Fitch – Definitions of Bond Ratings, Moody’s – Definitions of Bond Ratings including Moody’s Expanded Public Finance Rating Symbols, and Standard & Poor’s – Definitions of Bond Ratings from Phil Angelides, California State Treasurer.
Day Trading. Info and advice from U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission. Day Trading: Your Dollars at Risk, Internet and Online Trading: Warnings and Tips – Find out how to invest wisely, avoid fraud and investment scams on the Internet. See also Other Investor Education Sites.
Edustock. Explains the stock market, provides educational tutorials, company profiles, and a FREE 20 minute delayed Stock market simulation on the World Wide Web.
Forbes Magazine subscription advertisement. The Prudent Speculator — Ranked #1 by Hulbert for 10, 15 and 20 year performance…Click Here!
fundlibrary.com. Canada’s Mutual Fund Resource Centre. Over 10,000 pages of general and fund-specific information on all aspects of mutual fund investing may be found in this excellent fund library. Keep track of your portfolio, analyze fund performance, calculate average costs of each fund, view charts, gain and loss reports, as well as details for individual funds, and have portfolio reports sent to you by email daily, weekly, or monthly. Free service.
Global Penny Stocks. The only penny stock site recommended in Barron’s and by Forbes, picks stocks trading at under $5 that are on the NYSE, NASDAQ, and AMEX.
globeinvestor.com, or GlobeinvestorGOLD.com. Complete coverage of North American markets. Provides latest news and analysis from The Globe and Mail of Toronto, Canada. All exchanges delayed at least 15 minutes with CDN $14.95 monthly subscription price. Real time quotes with no delays at $29.95 per month plus exchange fees, available to Canadian or U.S./overseas non-professionals only. Globe Portfolio keeps track of your personalized investments, both stocks and mutual funds, in U.S. and Canadian funds with automatic conversion of U.S. to Canadian currency and vice versa, plus reports featuring current price of your stocks or funds in $ and %, shares owned, average cost per share, market value, gain / loss, etc. Invaluable tool at Income Tax time for easy access to records of stocks or mutual funds sold. Check out the Globe’s Quote Lookup:
|Enter Canadian or U.S. stock or index symbol(s):|
Hoover’s Companies A-Z from Hoover’s Directories. For each company, site provides information on Key Numbers, Key People, Industry Information, Top Competitors, Rankings, plus its Subsidiaries / Affiliates Covered by Hoover’s Online.
Income Trust from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.
Income Trusts – Trust Basics – Part 1: What are trusts? Putting trust in trusts by Rob Carrick, from Globe & Mail [Toronto]. Trust Basics – Part 2: How to research trusts – Study income trusts before investing in them. Trust Basics – Part 3: Adding trusts to your portfolio – The trouble with trusts. Is it too late to put your trust in income funds? by Rob Carrick. How to evaluate trust yields – Don’t fall into the trust yield trap by Fabrice Taylor.
Income Trusts or Income Funds. What are Income Trusts? Four categories: Business Trusts, Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), Resource Trusts, and Utility Trusts. Full Listing of Canadian Income Trusts including Name of Trust, Symbol, Yield, Distribution Frequency. Site also includes: Full listing of all Canadian Income Deposit Securities, and Full listing of all Canadian closed-end investment trusts.
An Introduction to Japanese Candlestick Charting. Article covers such topics as: Technical Analysis…a Brief Background, Candlestick Charts Explained, Bar Compared to Candlestick Charts, Common Candlestick Terminology, Candlestick Reversal Patterns, Morning Star, Evening Star, Doji Star, Shooting Star (Inverted Hammer), and more.
Investcom.com. Investment information of all Canadian public companies – TSX, Toronto Stock Exchange, TSX Venture Exchange, Montreal Exchange, NEX Board, CNQ, Nasdaq Canada, Canadian IPOs, US Stock Market, AMEX, NASDAQ, NYSE, OTCBB, Canadian Venture Exchange, Vancouver Stock Exchange, Alberta Stock Exchange, Winnipeg Stock Exchange, Canadian Dealing Network. Includes Brokerage Guide, Canadian Mutual Fund Directory, Income Trusts, Metals & Mining, Free Annual Reports, Market Activity – Update every 15 minutes. Prices delayed at least 15 minutes.
|Search by Symbol:||Search by Company Name:||Search by Industry:|
Investing 101: Learn the Basics of Investing from Yahoo! Finance. Beginning Investing, Bonds, Choosing a Broker, DRIP (Dividend Reinvestment Plan) & DSPP (Direct Stock Purchase Plan), Investment Clubs, Mutual Funds, Options, and Stocks.
Investment Dealers Association of Canada (IDA). A national self-regulatory organization (SRO) and trade association for the Canadian securities industry, represents more than 190 Member firms across the country.
Investment Funds Institute of Canada (IFIC). IFIC is the national trade association for the Canadian mutual fund industry. Goal is to educate investors and potential investors about mutual funds and mutual fund investing. Includes Mutual Funds 101 for Canadian youths, 10 Most Frequently Asked Questions about Mutual Funds, and numerous Fact Sheets.
Investopedia. Free educational site for novice as well as seasoned investors. Motto: “Never invest in anything you do not fully understand.” Site includes Stock Basics – Education for Beginners, Industry Analysis Handbook, Dictionary, Basic and Advanced Tutorials, 20 Investments You Should Know, Economic Indicators to Know, World’s Greatest Investors, Your 8 Step Guide to Picking Stocks, Investment Strategies for the 21st Century, and more.
InvestorWords.com. A comprehensive financial glossary with over 6000 definitions and 20,000 links between related terms.
MFDA – Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada is a not-for-profit federal corporation incorporated in June of 1998. The MFDA is the mutual fund industry’s self-regulatory organization (SRO) for the distribution side of the industry, responsible for regulating all sales of mutual funds by its Members in Canada. (Slow loading).
MoneyChimp. Topics: How Much Are Stocks Worth? Index Funds and Indexes, Explained: Index Basics. Index Styles: Large Caps, Small Caps. A Tiny Useful List of Index Funds and Exchange Traded Funds (ETF). Includes a pop-up Calculator and a Glossary.
Morningstar.com. Useful site with lots of investment information and tools to help you understand and analyze stocks, mutual funds, and portfolios. For Morningstar’s Canadian site see Morningstar.ca where you will find US Analyst Reports on Stocks, rankings for mutual funds, e.g. Five Star Funds, Fund Quickrank, and Fund Selector. Morningstar stes are also available internationally in Australia, Europe, Finland, Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, and Sweden.
The Motley Fool or Fool.com. Advice center aims to educate investors. News headlines and articles updated several times a day. Message boards.
MSNBC – Stocks & Economy Front Page. Latest Business and Markets News, Market Indices, Quote Lookup, and more.
The Ontario Securities Commission (OSC): Regulator of Canada’s largest capital market. Mandate is to: Protect investors from unfair, improper and fraudulent practices; Foster fair and efficient capital markets; and Maintain public and investor confidence in the integrity of those markets.
Penny Stocks: You Get What You Pay For. Excellent advice from Joe Chapin.
Reuters. Founded in London in 1851. Reuters is the world’s largest international multimedia news agency – 2,300 staff serving 130 countries, Real-time data provided on 5.5 million financial records, Information on 40,000 companies, Financial information from 258 exchanges and OTC markets, and lots more.
Risk Grades Measure. Excellent risk charts provide instant indication of stock risks (investment risk ranking) over 3 months, 6 months, or 1 year periods, your choice of range of dates. Type in a symbol or several symbols comma separated, select stock exchange or data type, and click RiskPriceChart to search. RiskGrade™ Measure provides free risk analysis to investors in 6 languages. Compare price volatility of a stock globally, compare investment risk of an equity across all asset classes, regions, and currencies. Fantastic free software.
The Rule of 72. Learn the Rule of 72 to find out how long it takes for your money to double in value.
SEDAR – System for Electronic Document Analysis and Retrieval. Online database of documents filed with securities regulators providing information on all publicly traded companies in Canada, including annual reports, financial statements, news releases, and company prospectuses. New Public Company Filings, Search database for Public Company Documents, Search for Mutual Fund Documents, Search Public Companies Profiles A-Z and Mutual Funds A-Z. Includes links to Regulatory Sites and Stock Exchanges.
Stock Analyzer. Download and set up Stock Analyzer from stock-anal.com. Free software offering stock chart, intelligent and classic technical analysis, candlestick chart analysis, intraday chart analysis, buy / sell signals, and portfolio management. Example: A green “o” on a technical chart indicates a buy signal. A red “x” on a technical chart indicates a sell signal. Follow Directions for Use to analyze stocks from different countries: US, Canada, Germany France, Italy, Australia, Singapore, Shanghai, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, Korea and India.
Stock Market Places & Quotations. Links to International Stock Exchanges, as well as Stock Exchanges and Stock Quotes sites first in the U.S. then in other countries around the world from Argentina to Venezuela.
Stock Market Yellow Pages: Your Investment Research and Business Portal. Site includes Stock Market Research and a Business Directory which allows you to search for public companies based upon their descriptions.
Superstar Investor. Provides descriptive summaries and 20,000 links to the top investing sites on the Internet. Excellent resource.
Super Stock Picker. Agnosoft claims “to have developed an innovative stock market research software, the Super Stock Picker, which picks the best Canadian stocks from the Toronto Stock Exchange in order to build high-performance Canadian stock portfolios that meet all investor profiles.”
TD Managed Assets Program (TD MAP) from TD Canada Trust – an innovative investment and portfolio management program that helps you invest in the targeted asset mix to reach your financial goals. Complete an Investor Profile Questionnaire online and the program will instantly recommend a mutual fund portfolio to meet your needs.
TeachMeFinance.com. Site teaches you basic finance concepts, e.g. Time Value of Money, Annuities, Perpetuities, Interest Rates, Effective Annual Rate (EAR), Cash flow, Probability Distribution – Expected Rate of Return (ERR), Standard Deviation, Capital Asset Pricing Model (CAPM), Bond Valuation, Stock Valuation, Net Present Value (NPV), Internal Rate of Return (IRR), Modified Internal Rate of Return (MIRR), etc.
Telenium: Canada’s Financial Host. Obtain free stock quotes from Toronto Stock Exchange, Montreal Exchange, Canadian Venture Exchange, and Winnipeg Commodity Exchange. All exchange summaries posted daily at 18:00 CST. All quotes are delayed by a minimum of 15 minutes and are linked to 100 day and 100 week charts.
TheStreet.com. Market analysis, financial news. Covers latest stories, market briefing, market news, stock news, tech stocks, personal finance, commentary, international news and commentary, latest stock quotes and research tools, learn about investing basics, message boards, chats and appearances, and more.
TechniTrader™ – Your Stock Market Educator – TechniTrader’s Technical Analysis Training: Technical Analysis. Technical Analysis is the study of market data in a graphical form. The first aspect of Technical analysis that you need to learn is how to read and interpret stock charts and indicators.
U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The primary mission of the SEC is to protect investors and maintain the integrity of the securities markets. The SEC requires public companies to disclose meaningful financial and other information to the public, which provides a common pool of knowledge for all investors to use to judge for themselves if a company’s securities are a good investment.
The Value Line – A research company that collects data and analyzes performance of approximately 8,000 stocks, 13,000 mutual funds, 80,000 options and other securities. (Paid subscription required for products and services). Value Line’s Free Education Section. Comparing the Value Line Averages. Dow Jones Industrial Average, 1920-2004 (Quarterly Price Range) – Chart in PDF.
Yahoo! Finance. Stock quotes and market analysis. U.S. Markets, Canadian Markets (include REAL TIME quotes for Dow Jones Industrial, Nasdaq, S&P 500, TSE 300, etc. throughout the trading day), World Markets, Research and Research earnings, Loans, Investment challenge, and more. Customize your own portfolio and quotes to include stocks and funds of your choice.
332.64 Stock exchange, (Securities exchange)
Stock Exchanges Worldwide Links. Select by Continent: Africa, Asia (includes Australia and New Zealand), Europe, Middle East, North America, and South America.
332.7 Credit cards, (Bank credit cards), (Banks and banking – Credit cards), Loans, Mortgages, Consumer credit
All Mortgages & Refinance Mortgage News. Mortgages Magazine provides news on home loan purchases, refinancing, and debt consolidation. Includes: Types of Mortgages, Mortgage Basics, and Mortgage Calculator.
American Express. Links to worldwide American Express sites: Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Croatia, Czech Republic, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Hungary, Italy, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Singapore, Spain, Sweden, Taiwan, United Kingdom, United States.
Calculators from FinAid. Information on Loans, Student Loan Advisor for Students. Loan Payment Calculator, Loan Analyzer, Loan Comparison, Cost of Interest Capitalization, and more.
CanEquity Mortgage® is a national Canadian mortgage brokering company offering home loans to clients in all provinces and territories. Site includes a handy Canadian Mortgage Rate Calculator.
Credit Card Matrix: Complete Credit Card Directory. Topics covered: Good Credit, Poor Credit, Students, Business Rebate Cards, Frequent Flyers, UK and Canada, All Cards Consolidation, Credit Reports, Credit Repair, Credit Card FAQ. Caution advised when applying for a credit card online. Learn all about credit cards before applying and using a credit card.
Credit Card Tips from Nellie Mae.
Credit-Land.com. Contents include: How do I choose the best credit card? College kids and credit. How can I establish or rebuild good credit? Beware of the phone fraud. Credit Card FAQ, Glossary of Credit Card Terms, Credit Card Security, and more.
Credit Reporting Agencies:
Equifax – United States
Equifax – Canada
Equifax – United Kingdom
Equifax – Global Links
TransUnion – United States
TransUnion – Canada
Experian: Credit Report, Online Credit Check – Global Gateway Worldwide links.
See also How to Survive the Internet Unscathed – Item 23: Identity Theft.
Credit Scoring. Facts for Consumers from Federal Trade Commission (FTC), United States of America. Credit scoring is a system creditors use to help determine whether to give you credit. A credit scoring system awards points for each factor that helps predict who is most likely to repay a debt. Credit scoring systems enable creditors to evaluate millions of applicants consistently and impartially on many different characteristics. Site includes tips from FTC to help you be a more savvy consumer. See also:
- Your Credit Score: How It All Adds Up from Privacy Rights Clearinghouse, includes
- Tips for Improving Your Score.
- Your Credit Scores from Consumer Federation of America and Fair Isaac Corporation.
- My FICO. FICO Credit Scores, Online Credit Reports and Identity Theft Protection. See how FICO scores affect your monthly payments. Note: Credit score FICO is an acronym for Fair Isaac Credit Organization.
- Facts & Fallacies about Credit Scores.
GovLoans.gov. Gateway to United States Federal loan information.
How Credit Cards Work financially and technically. Contents: Tips on how to shop for a credit card, Credit card plans, Credit history, and How to avoid credit card fraud both online and in the real world.
Mortgage101.com – Mortgage Calculators include Monthly Payment, Loan Amortization, Loan Points, Refinance, Tax Benefits, Loan Consolidation calculators. Site also includes a Market Snapshot with Daily Mortgage Averages, Daily Rate Averages – Current Mortgage Rates, and a Mortgage Library with useful educational articles on interest rates, applying for a mortgage, and more. U.S. based.
Mortgage Loan Calculators. Interest Only Monthly Payment Calculator, Amortization Spreadsheet – Amortization Schedule, Additional Payment Calculator, Compound Interest Calculator, and other calculators.
Secret History of the Credit Card from FRONTLINE. Introduction – In this one-hour report, correspondent Lowell Bergman uncovers the techniques used by the industry to earn record profits and get consumers to take on more debt, Eight Things a Credit Card User Should Know, Interviews, A Credit Card Quiz, Credit Cards and Personal Responsibility, The Rise of the Industry, Your Credit Score, When the Debt Collector Calls, and more.
VISA. Products & Services include ATM Locator, Lost Your Card? Smart VISA card, etc. Consumer Tips include: Protect Your Visa Card, Tips for Safe ATM Usage, About the Euro, Travel Resources, Financial Tips, Safety Tips for Visa Cardholders, and Check Card Shopping Tips.
Your Access to Free Credit Reports. Facts for Consumers from the United States Federal Trade Commission. A recent amendment to the federal Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) requires each of the nationwide consumer reporting companies to provide you with a free copy of your credit report, at your request, once every 12 months.
332.8 Interest (Economics), Interest rates, (Prime rates)
Bloomberg.com – Rates & Bonds. Key interest rates for Australia, Brazil, Germany, Japan, U.K. and United States. Data for U.S. includes Prime Rates (Current, 1 month – 1 year prior), Mortgage Rates, U.S. Treasuries, Municipal Bonds.
CANNEX. Gathers, compiles, and distributes interest rate information for Australia, Canada and United States.
CNNMoney: Interest Rates. Mortgages and home equity loans – Search for rates from hundreds of lenders in U.S. Deposit rates – Search for rates on CDs, money markets and interest checking. Includes: Auto loans and credit cards.
Interest Rates: A Primer from CBC News Indepth: Economy. “Interest rates in Canada are broadly determined by the level of interest rates in the United States, the relative inflation rates in both countries, and the relative stances of their monetary policies.”
Prime Lending Rates – Canada. Current prime rates or bank rates as posted by Canadian financial institutions, from MoneySense.ca. Prime and Other Rates – Today’s RBC Royal Bank rates: Royal Bank Prime (Canadian Prime Rates), U.S. Prime Rates, U.S. Base Rates. Bank of Canada – 2005 schedule of eight dates for announcing decisions on its key policy interest rate. Bank of Canada – 2006 schedule of dates for its policy interest rate announcements. “The Bank Rate is the rate of interest that the Bank of Canada charges on one-day loans to financial institutions. It is also part of a range called the Operating Band for the overnight rate. The overnight rate is the interest rate at which major financial institutions borrow and lend one-day funds among themselves. The Bank Rate is always at the top end of the operating band, which is half a percentage point wide. For example, if the operating band is 4.25 to 4.75 per cent, the Bank rate would be 4.75 per cent. The Overnight Rate Target is always at the middle of the band. Target for the Overnight Rate would be 4.50 per cent.”
Prime Lending Rates – U.S. and Prime Rate – What It Means. Rates & Bonds – United States from Bloomberg.com. Prime Rate – Bank of America. History of Changes in Bank of America Prime Rate 2005-1999. History of Bank of America Prime Rate 1947-1999. Prime Rate from About.com.
333.33 Real estate business, Houses – Buying and selling, (Home buying), (Home purchase), (Real property), (Realty), (Apartments), (Rentals)
apartmentguide.com – Apartments in the U.S.A. Select a housing type, e.g. Apartments or Corporate Housing, select a State, select a Metro Area, or enter a property name to search for an apartment. You can also specify features you want in the apartment and the price range. Site provides photos, maps, addresses, floor plans where applicable, rent cost, contacts, and other details.
Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC). Canada’s national housing agency. Site Map. CMHC for Consumers. Topics: Buying a Home, Mortgage Insurance, Renting a Home, Maintaining a Home, Renovating a Home, Programs & Financial Assistance.
CanadaMortgage.com. A Quick Mortgage Calculator applicable for Canada and U.S. available at a click away. Comparison rate chart showing current mortgage interest rates, Learning Centre, Glossary, Legal Information, Calculators and Tools: Amortization Calculator, Home Financing Calculator, Mortgage Manager Calculator, Currency Calculator for Currenty Conversion, Buy Down Calculator, Rent vs. Own Calculator, and more.
Canadian Real Estate Association (CREA). Provides information on the buying and selling of a home, What is a Realtor, Code of Ethics, Home Buyer’s Plan, and a Glossary of Terms. Also includes statistics on the Canadian resale housing market.
Commercial Investment Bulletin Board System (CIBBS) from ICI World.net. Global databases and information services for commercial and residential real estate brokers and salespeople to serve the public. Search Have Want – Properties for Sale and Lease, Purchaser and Tenant Wants, Search FSBO – For Sale By Owner, Latest Listings, Lisings in U.S.A., Ontario Canada, Western Canada, Eastern Canada, Europe, Caribbean and Central America, Asia and Middle East, Pacific Rim and Southeast Asia, South America, Australia, and Africa.
Credit Rating – Your Life, Your Credit from the Mortgage Professionals, Kingston, ON. Credit Reporting Agencies: How the system works, Your Credit Report is divided into six main sections. Credit Score: How is your score calculated, How to achieve a higher Credit Score. Credit Rumors/Misconceptions. Credit Warning Signs: To keep your finances running smoothly watch for these danger signs. Identity Theft: How it happens, How to minimize your risk, When traveling, It could happen to you, Advice: Check the name on the card every time you sign for something and/or the card is taken away for even a short period of time.
Current Mortgage Rates from MortgagesInCanada.com. Includes Canadian Mortgage Calculator, First time buyers, Poor credit, New to Canada, Free discussion group dealing with mortgages in Canada, and more.
Domania.com. Database of over 21 million home sale prices from 26 States in the U.S. (Non-disclosure States excluded). Links for the Home Buyer: Check home sales (go back 5-7 years) – search by location or price range, Calculate mortgage payments, Research tax rates, Buyer’s Checklist. For the Seller: Determine home values, Estimate home equity, Check neighborhood sales, Seller’s checklist.
FratalNet Real Estate Server for United States, San Francisco Bay Area, California, as well as Outside the U.S.
Garth Turner’s Weekly Column published in newspapers across Canada, archived 2000-current: Topics covered: Mortgages, Income Trusts, Rental Real Estate, Money, Mortgage Rates, etc. Bank of Montreal Mortgage Centre, CIBC Mortgage Rates, RBC Royal Bank Mortgage Rates, Scotiabank Mortgage Centre, TD – Canada Trust Mortgages, Mortgages in Canada and others; Work Sheets (Checklists, Worksheet, Home Purchase Costs Estimate, Monthly Expenses, Selling Checklist), Government / Information (CMHC, Real Estate Glossary, Canadian Real Estate Association, Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP), RRSP, Ontario New Home Warranty Program (ONHWP), GST New Housing Rebate, Land Transfer Tax, Universal Currency Converter, Canadian Tax Tip from Certified General Accountants of Ontario via CNW (Canada NewsWire).
GST/HST New Housing Rebate from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Includes Forms GST190, GST190-WS, and GST515. All about rules and regulations governing application of Goods and Services Tax / Harmonized Sales Tax (GST/HST) New Housing Rebate.
Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP) from Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). Includes Form T1036 in PDF or Braille T1036 Home Buyers’ Plan (HBP) Request to Withdraw Funds from an RRSP.
Homefair.com. Provides consumer advice (tells you what scams are out there), Real Estate Listings, America’s Online Foreclosure Multiple Listing Service, and Relocation Wizard. Helps you Find a Home, Find an Apartment, Find Senior Housing, Home Finance – Compare Loans Instantly, Get a Free Moving Quote – in U.S. only, Real Estate 101 – Real Estate News, Should You Buy or Sell First? Information is mainly U.S. based, but includes over 30 major Canadian cities in comparing cost of living between two cities. Includes Salary, Moving, and Mortgage Calculators. Relocation Crime Lab compares crime rates in many US and Canadian cities.
- Buying a Home.
- Owning a Home.
- Selling a Home.
- Renting an apartment or a house.
- Homeless – If you are homeless, HUD, along with many other federal agencies, funds programs to help the homeless.
- Home Improvements – facts & pitfalls.
- HUD Homes – HUD sells properties at reduced prices. Check out listings of HUD homes in your area.
- Fair Housing and Equal Opportunity (FHEO) – Ms. Kim Kendrick, Assistant Secretary, is charged with administering federal fair housing laws and establishing national policies that ensure all Americans have equal access to the housing of their choice.
- How to Avoid Foreclosure.
- Housing Resources, and much more.
Homes for Sale by the U.S. Government. Site provides current information about single family homes for sale by the U.S. Federal Government. Anyone can buy one of these homes, but you must work with a real estate agent, broker or servicing representative to submit an offer or bid. See How to Buy U. S. Government-owned Homes. Click on a state from the map then choose a city, or use text version to search for homes for sale.
ICI World – World of Industrial Commercial and Investment Real Estate. 3000 out of 8000 listings are placed in the free viewing area, mostly from U.S. and Canada. Site includes listings from Africa, Asia & Middle East, Australia, Caribbean, Central America, Europe, Pacific Rim, Southeast Asia, and South America. View free listings of FSBO (For Sale by Owner) around the world, but only paying subscribers can respond to listings.
International Real Estate Digest (IRED) – ired). Lists Real Estate Web Sites from USA, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, Caribbean, Europe, Mid-East, Africa, Asia, Oceania, Australia, plus related Resources.
Land Transfer Tax Calculator. Land Tax Calculator provided by MacNaughtonLaw.Com.
- How to calculate the Land Transfer Tax in the Province of Ontario from HomeLife/Muskoka Real Estate Ltd.
- Land Transfer Tax & OHOSP (Ontario Home Ownership Savings Plan) from Canadian Mortgages.com. Land Transfer Tax (LTT) is a tax charged by the province when ownership of property is changed. It is normally paid by the purchaser when property is bought. Ontarians registered in the Ontario Home Ownership Savings Plan (OHOSP) before December 31, 1993 still qualify for a rebate of the Land Transfer Tax if conditions are met.
- Land Transfer Tax from Ontario Ministry of Finance, Tax Revenue Division (TRD) – Land transfer tax is imposed on the acquisition of an interest in land. Every person obtaining an interest in land is liable to land transfer tax. The tax is calculated on the value of the consideration for the transfer.
- Ontario Home Ownership Savings Plan (OHOSP) & Important Changes to the Ontario Home Ownership Savings Plan (OHOSP) program from Ontario Ministry of Finance. The May 18, 2004 Ontario Budget announced the termination of the Ontario Home Ownership Savings Plan (OHOSP) program. After May 18, 2004, it is proposed that no new OHOSPs be opened and no new contributions to exisiting plans will be eligible for Ontario tax credit purposes. The OHOSP program is proposed to end on December 31, 2005.
MLS – Canadian MLS Online. Multiple Listing Service (MLS) for Canada. Database of commercial and residential properties available for sale throughout Canada.
Mortgage Information from INVIS, Independent Mortgage Broker. First-Time Home Buyers, Compare Current Mortgage Rates, Calculators – Maximum Mortgage Calculator, Mortgage Analyzer, Full Amortization Mortgage Strategizer, Rent or Buy Analyzer, Glossary.
Mortgage Life Insurance from Essential Benefits Group. Includes Top 3 Reasons to Avoid Bank, Credit Union, or Trust Company Mortgage Life Insurance, The Experts Speak: How to Protect Your Credit Score by Peter Strong B.Sc., M.B.A. Quick Mortgage Repayment Plan, and more.
Moving Resources. www.moveout.com. Moving Boxes & Supplies. Largest direct merchant of moving boxes and moving supplies offering the lowest prices, fastest service and free nationwide shipping in the US and Canada.
New in Homes. View hundreds of brand new homes and condominiums from home builders in Ontario, Canada. Categories: Start New Search, The Builders, What’s New (watch for grand openings), Legal Info, Mortgage Info, New Home Alert, and Community Info.
Ontario Commercial Real Estate. Search Industrial Properties, Commercial Properties, Investment Properties, or Vacant Land in all parts of Ontario. Search by City or Town, Search by Property Type, or combined search. Free database.
Ontario New Home Warranty Program (ONHWP) – Name changed to meaningless “Tarion”. Program aims to protect Ontario’s new home buyers. Statutory Warranty Coverage: New home buyers benefit from deposit protection, as well as protection against delayed closings or occupancies without proper written notice. New homeowners are also protected against defects in work and materials, major structural defects, and, in some cases, unauthorized substitutions by builders. Available information include:
- Warranty Enrolment Fees.
- How the Statutory Warranty Works.
- Homeowner Information Package.
- Pre-Delivery Inspection (PDI).
- Forms in PDF – Pre-Delivery Inspection Form (PDI Form), Appointment of Designate for Pre-Delivery Inspection Form, 30-Day Form, Year-End Form, Second-Year Form, Confirmation of Receipt of the Homeowner Information Package, and more.
Real Estate ABC – The ABC’s of Real Estate. Real Estate & Mortgage Resources. Housing Trends: Interest Rate Forecast, Existing Home Sales, Recent Appreciation. Articles & Tips: Home Buying, Home Selling, Freelance Library, Hints & Insights, Income Taxes, Mortgage, Credit Articles, Glossary, Questions & Answers. Real Estate Agents: in USA, Canada & US Territories. 16 Calculators including Mortgage Payment Calculator, Rent vs. Own Calculator, Cost of Living Calculator, Principal Prepayment Calculator, Bi-Weekly Mortgage Calculator, and more.
Rent Canada – Canada’s Internet Apartment Guide. Select a province and a city to view locations of rental apartments, search by furnished apartments, by company (i.e. property management firms), by area, Residential Rental Property Search, classifieds, vacation properties, and more. Relatively new site.
RE/MAX.com. Search for properties by location, by price range, find agent or office in over 50 regions around the world. Tips for selling your home. Financial calculators. Check today’s mortgage rates or calculate monthly mortgage payments in U.S. and Canada.
Toronto Real Estate Board. Includes links to:
Canadian Real Estate Association
Ontario Real Estate Association
Brampton Real Estate Board
Durham Region Real Estate Board
Mississauga Real Estate Board, and
York Region Real Estate Board.
Zillow.com – Your Edge in Real Estate. A truly amazing and awesome site. Find out the worth of any home in the U.S. Free, instant valuations and data for 60,000,000+ homes in the United States. Value any home: Enter Address OR Street OR Neighborhood, plus City, State, OR Zip Code. (Note: You don’t have to enter any personal information and no one will contact you). Results include: Satellite map, Street map, Type of home, Number of bedrooms, Tax assessed value, Home (sq. ft.), Lot size (sq. ft.), Year built, and Date sold (if applicable).
333.95 Biological diversity, (Biodiversity), Endangered species, Plant conservation, (Threatened species), (Vanishing species), Extinction (Biology)
Biodiversity Hotspots. Conservation International (CI) focuses on the 25 richest and most threatened reservoirs of plant and animal life around the world, in the hope that decision-makers will make informed decisions influencing conservation in these hotspots. Contents include: Hotspots Science – What are hotspots? Comparing and monitoring hotspots, Hotspots conservation. Search Hotspots by Region to find detailed information on each hotspot in North and Central America, South America, Europe and Central Asia, Africa, Mainland Asia, and Asia Pacific.
336.2 Taxation, (Income tax), (IRS), (CRA), (CCRA), (Revenue Canada), (Tax returns), (Taxes)
AARP Tax-Aide. American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) Tax Aide was established in 1968 to help older persons complete their tax returns. Trained volunteers help persons with low- and middle-income maximize their legal deductions and credits, resulting in tangible economic benefits to them. Use Online Tax Counseling – Get Answers to Your Tax Questions Online (U.S. only), a public service from the AARP Foundation.
The Alternative Minimum Tax. Revenue and Tax Policy Brief from United States Congressional Budget Office (CBO).
Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). On Nov. 1, 1999, the name Revenue Canada was changed to Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA). On December 12, 2003, Canada Customs and Revenue Agency (CCRA) was changed to Canada Revenue Agency (CRA).
- Site Map. Site provides online access to Canada’s income tax information.
- CRA Keyword Search.
- Income Tax Forms & Publications, bulletins, and details on all aspects of Canadian income tax system and completion of all tax returns, personal and corporate.
- TIPS – T.I.P.S. Tax Information Phone Service 1-800-267-6999.
- Get your Access Code online to Netfile your tax return, or call e-service Helpdesk at 1-800-714-7257 (from Canada and United States) for assistance, teletypewriter (TTY) number for e-service Helpdesk is 1-888-768-0951.
- Online Requests may be used to review or make changes concerning Telerefund, GST/HST credit, Canada Child Tax Benefit, or obtain RRSP deduction limit information.
- RRSPs and related plans.
- My Account – Manage your personal income tax and benefit account online by: changing your return, changing your address or telephone numbers, authorizing your representative, registering your formal dispute, or call toll free 1-800-959-8281 for Individual Income Tax Enquiries, 1-800-959-1956 to find out about your income tax refund.
- Volunteer Tax Preparation Clinics across Canada.
- What’s new?
Canadian Income Tax Courses:
Canada Revenue Agency: Learning About Taxes. Free Online Course – To understand the fundamentals of the Canadian tax system and to teach you how to file a basic income tax return.
H&R Block Canada: Tax School
Liberty Tax Service.
Daily Tax Highlights – Canada from Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu.
Ernst & Young Tax Library. Contents: Budget Analyses, Commodity Tax, Income Tax, International Tax, Personal Financial Counselling, Tax Alerts, Tax Operations, Tax Policy.
Essential Links to Taxes (U.S.). Contents include: Major Tax Sites: IRS, H&R Block, FedWorld; Tax Forms: IRS Forms, 1040.com, UncleFed; Publications: IRS Pubs; Tax related news: IRS Newsroom, Tax Analysts; Tax Law: Legalbitstream, Thomas, Nolo.com; Tax Code: U.S. Code, Code Search; Commercial Tax Sites: CPA Advantage, H&R Block, Quicken; Associations; Link Lists: Tax and Accounting Sites; Tax Tools and Utilities: MSNBC Personal Finance Calculators, Tax Term Glossary; and more.
H&R Block Canada – Tax Planning: Tax 101, Federal Budget, Federal Tax Tables, Provincial Budgets, Life Events and Stages – Income Tax Consequences, FAQs: Topics include: Capital Gains, Charitable Donations, Child Care Expenses, Employment Expenses, Income-Splitting, Moving Expenses, RRSP Home Buyer’s Plan, Support Payments …
Internal Revenue Service IRS.gov, U.S. Department of the Treasury. Tax Statistics, Information for Individuals, Businesses, Charities & Non-Profits, Government Entities, Tax Professionals, Retirement Plans, Electronic Services include Free Online Filing where you can e-file your individual tax return for free, Taxpayer Help and Education, Tax Regulations, IRS Forms and Publications.
Liberty Tax Service – Tax Resources.
MoneySense.ca: Taxes. Canadian Income Tax Primer.
Personal Income Taxes in Canada from About.com. Information on electronic filing, the income tax package, forms and schedules, supplementary guides and tax tips.
SmartMoney.com: Tax Guide (U.S.)
Tax Basics for United States taxpayers, from Yahoo! Finance. Getting Started, Forms (Federal & State), & Tools (Calculators, Calendar, Check List, Glossary, Tax Rates). Includes: Taxes: 10 Must-Know Basics, 10 Worst Ways to Pay Your Tax Bill, Free Tax Help at the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
Tax Court of Canada (TCC) is a superior court of law and has jurisdiction to hear and determine appeals and references on matters arising under the following Acts: Income Tax Act, Employment Insurance Act (formerly the Unemployment Insurance Act), Part IX of the Excise Tax Act (GST), Canada Pension Plan, Old Age Security Act, Petroleum and Gas Revenue Tax Act, Cultural Property Export and Import Act, Customs Act (Part V.1), Air Travellers Security Charge Act, Excise Act (2001), War Veterans Allowance Act, and Civilian War-related Benefits Act.
Tax News Network Canada from PricewaterhouseCoopers. Includes Tax Facts and Figures for Individuals and Corporations – 2004, in PDF, 64 pages.
The Tax Page from Rotfleisch & Samulovitch, Barristers & Solicitors – Tax & Business Lawyers. Contents include: Top 10 Tax Tidbits, Tax Related Articles, Tax Links (Canadian Federal & Provincial Budget Information, Canadian and U.S. Tax Information, Trademarks), and more.
Tax Tips & Resources from TurboTax.
Taxes and Tariffs from Department of Finance Canada. It is the job of Finance Canada to help the federal government decide who gets taxed, how and how much. Major taxes are personal and corporate income tax and sales taxes. Contents: Tax Bulletins, Tax Initiatives, Tariff Initiatives, and Related Links (Canadian Economy Online, Public Finance, Taxation, Tax Measures for Persons with Disabilities …)
TaxTips.ca – Canadian Tax and Financial Information. Very useful site with practical tips and advice. Contents include:
- Tax Rates / Credits
- Federal Personal Income Tax Rates
- What’s New?
- Glossary of Investing, Financial, Accounting and Tax Terms
- Money-Saving and Wealth-Building Tips
- Personal Tax
- Small Business
- GST / HST – Goods and Services Tax / Harmonized Sales Tax
- PST – Provincial Sales Tax
- Wills & Estates, Will Sample, and more.
Top 10 Tax Tidbits. Updated weekly. Site provides current Canadian Income Tax Law information, plus tax saving Canadian income tax legal tips, and weekly income tax minimization strategies for Canadians.
Uncle Fed’s Tax*Board. IRS Tax Forms, IRS Tax News, IRS Bulletins, State Tax Forms, How to Protect Yourself and Survive the IRS, Fun Stuff (includes games and education material, e.g. American Historical Documents), Tax Preparation Help, Helpful Links for Tax Professionals, U.S. Tax Court Rules, Taxpayer Bill of Rights, Audit-Proofing Strategies, and more.
336.3 Public debts, (Government debts), (National debts)
Australia’s Future December 1996 by Philip Atkinson – Quote: “The national debt has now passed the $16 billion mark and shows no sign of reducing.” See also: About Fraser Island by David Kidd circa 2002 – Quote: “Have you heard of any more likely government plans for finding the $200 billion plus needed to get Australia out of debt?”
Canada’s Federal Debt from Fathers For Life – Quote: “According to the Fraser Institute, in 1999 the total federal liabilities were not $565 billion as one might be inclined to assume from the data contained in the graph shown above (in chart), but rather a whopping $1.7 trillion – including the 565 billion of direct debts shown above (in chart).” See also:
- That Canadian National Debt by James Bredin, April 1999 – Quote: “Canada has a national debt of $600 billion.”
- Canadian Government Debt from Fraser Institute – Quote: “The total stock of direct debt fell from $853 billion to $850 billion between 1996/1997 and 1997/1998.”
- National Debt from amortization.com – Quote: “The exact amount of the current National debt (March 31, 2004) is very difficult to state for many reasons. … An interest rate of 7.2% was used and it was arrived at by dividing the yearly interest charge of 41.5 billion by the total debt of 576.8 billion dollars.”
- Federal Net Public Debt – Definition, How does it affect Canadians? from Government of Canada – Quote: “in 2001, the federal net public debt was over $545 billion.”
- Scam of the Century – the Canadian National “Debt” – Quote from From Here to There: “the completely fraudulent ‘National Debt Scam’ which the government has used to steal over a trillion dollars from Canadians, and, outrageously claiming poverty after this theft of our money and redefining the entire idea of ‘adding insult to injury’, to roll back every progressive social program to protect Canadians and enrich their lives.”
- The Second National Debt. Canada’s Growing Infrastructure Challenge, in PDF from Association of Consulting Engineers of Canada.
- No information on Canadian national debt is posted at Statistics Canada from the Government of Canada. Search for “national debt” yields the following: National Balance Sheet Accounts: Growth in National Net Worth Accelerates. Search for “public debit” produces the following from Department of Finance Canada: Debt Program (Government of Canada Securities).
The Debt to the Penny and Who Holds It from Bureau of the Public Debt, United States Department of the Treasury. See also Facts and Figures – The Debt of the U.S. – Archives of Historical Debt Outstanding, Annual 1791 – 1849, 1850 – 1899, 1900 – 1949, 1950 – 2005.
Government Debt, Public Debt. Information from Answers.com.
Gross National Debt since 1855: Nominal £bn and as a % of GDP from UK Debt Management Office.
Sep 2005 GDP, National Debt Thermometer from The Skeptical Optimist. Debt-to-GDP is the widely accepted measure of “debt-burden.”
U.S. National Debt Clock. Site shows the current Outstanding Public Debt in U.S. dollars as it ticks away as of today, this very hour, minute, and second (Greenwich Mean Time). The Outstanding Public Debt as of 24 Mar 2006 at 05:09:33 AM GMT is: $8,357,048,533,001.49. The estimated population of the United States is 298,857,911 so each citizen’s share of this debt is $27,963.28. The National Debt has continued to increase an average of $2.43 billion per day since September 30, 2005!
See also: National Debt Graph from zFacts.com – National Debt History by President, White House (OMB) Data on the Gross National Debt. The Debt to the Penny from Bureau of the Public Debt, United States Department of the Treasury.
U.S. Public Debt. Explanation and information from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. “The U.S. public debt, commonly called the national debt or the gross federal debt, is the amount of money owed by the United States federal government.” See also: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) about the Debt from Bureau of the Public Debt, United States Department of the Treasury.