Tips on How to Start a Persuasive Essay
Persuasive writing is a type of writing that requires you to persuade the reader that indeed your sentiments are nothing but the truth. A persuasive paper is obliged to satisfy the reader to go by your stand in the argument being presented. Different essays have different writing techniques because there are different audiences and aim for the essay. As a writer, you should be able to identify the needs of the paper and stick to them throughout your writing.
What is persuasive writing (definition)
Just like all other essays, the main intention of the writer is usually to interest the reader of their work; you should be able to impress your reader to score high grades. It is good to understand the meaning of a persuasive essay before you get to writing the paper. A persuasive essay is a genre of writing where you are required to convince your audience of a particular idea or topic. For you to be able to persuade your reader, you should first be able to know how you can fully involve them in your narration; once you get the attention of your reader, then you can easily direct their thoughts to a particular direction. To be convictive in your essay, you should be able to give illustrations and examples from real life situation so that it appears more practical to your reader. There are some of the tips that you need to know for you to achieve in writing a good essay to impress your targeted audience.
- Use good grammar in your expressions – English has rules of grammar that serve to ensure that there is no mix up of ideas. They do serve to ensure that sentences can be easily understood. As a writer, you should be able to express your ideas in simple and understandable English, avoid common spelling and grammar errors as they make your work look bad and a reader cannot be convinced with work full of poor grammar because they will be struggling to understand what you are trying to bring out.
- Use of senses – it is good to know the art of attracting your reader to your work and engaging them fully. For you to achieve in getting the attention of your reader, you should be able to use your senses in the descriptions. When you apply different senses to express yourself, the reader can be able to imagine in their mind what you are describing, and they can easily be convinced because it has become part of them.
- Be consistent in your arguments – consistency is very key when it comes to persuasion. You should not contradict your stand at any point in the paper, and always keep to your argument to the very end. Once you start contradicting your points, then persuading the reader becomes hard because they automatically become confused. You should also ensure that your evidence goes hand in hand with your claim. Do not present different evidence for another argument, as you will have to mix up your reader.
- Use as many pieces of evidence as you can – stating an argument is not enough to convince the reader; you should proceed and come up with relevant illustration to support your claim. The more examples you give, the more persuasive you become in your writing. In the presentation of your evidence, you should focus on the strong evidence so that the reader can agree with your claim.
- Use credible sources as references – while writing your essay you may be forced to use external sources for reference purposes. You should be able to use up to date sources that are trustworthy. The advantage of using current sources is that they contain updated information, and the reader can easily be convinced with data from such sources. It is also good to check the authors of the sources that you use as they determine the credibility of the books they wrote. Some authors are known for their good works and research and when you state them in the in-text citation of our work you are sure of precision. When you give an argument, and you cite it, the reader will find sense in your words since they would not just be opinions but referenced researched points.
- Include personal experience – you should be able to include your personal experience concerning the idea that you are writing about so that the reader can believe that indeed you are right. Experience is the last thing that one would doubt because it is something that has been practical at one point in your life and so it’s true.
- Apply ethos, pathos, and logos – ethos refers to the morally acceptable behavior in the society. You should give your arguments supported by ethics so that your reader can be persuaded because it is communal. Pathos refers to emotions and logos refers to logic. In the presentation of your ideas, you should be logical and creative so that the reader can agree with your claim on the topic.
How to come up with a simple with persuasive essay format
It is good to understand the format of encrypting your essay to come up with quality content. You should be able to understand the pre-writing tips before you get to know how to begin your paper.
The key factors that should be considered before starting to write a persuasive essay include; the target audience, the topic to be written on and subsequently, the action, idea or stand that the writer will take and the importance of the whole argument to the target audience.
The target audience has to be identified by the reader to remain on course in trying to persuade them on the topic of discussion, especially where the audience is not neutral to believe on a certain action or idea. Hence the writer should particularly take a keen interest in researching the beliefs, ideologies, and interests of the article audience.
Secondly, the writer should pick a side or stand that he or she strongly believes in or that which is in line with the interests of the readers. The article writer should pick a side that she or he can comfortably defend while writing credible, scientifically proven or factual references, statistical findings. When writing the article, it is important that the writer remains focused in building the idea she or he stands for and be firm and authoritative to ensure that the argument that the writer is putting forth is well laid out and described in detail throughout the whole article. This portrays the writer’s confidence in what she or he believes in and greatly contributes to persuading the reader.
Highlighting the benefits of the side that the writer has chosen to defend is also paramount to ensuring that the article reader, in the end, totally agrees with the writer’s idea.
Persuasive essay outline (Hints on a perfect outline!)
A persuasive article has three main parts which include:
- Introduction – this is the first persuasive paragraph. It should be structured in such a way that it captures the reader’s attention and interest. The introductory statement or sentence, which carries the full weight of the article, should be concise, short but detailed enough to hammer the writer’s point home. Moreover, the statement should be logical and give some summary of what the whole article is all about. The paragraph should end with a thesis sentence giving the idea that he or she is going to build on in the whole discussion. The paragraph should be well laid out as it determines whether the reader will go on and read the whole article or will lose interest in continuing to read it.
- Body paragraphs – each paragraph should be structured in such a way that it describes a particular idea or point. The idea should be presented clearly and well detailed with references, statistical findings and other tangible and credible evidence that will back up the writer’s claims. Each paragraph should be started with a captivating opening thesis or statement that gives an overview of the idea being explained in the paragraph. It is also essential to explain terms and terminologies that may be employed in the article, especially those that are not familiar to the target audience. Some of the writing techniques that may be employed by the writer include: repetition and rhetorical and hypothetical questions which emphasize the whole action or idea being put forth and also short analogies that are in line with the point being discussed with credible examples on the topic of discussion. Challenging the reader is also very crucial. The writing techniques help to increase the chances of the reader being persuaded to agree with the writer. You should also ensure the sentences are short to avoid wordiness in your work. To avoid the same, you should employ the use of conjunctions in your sentences.
- Paragraph tackling counterarguments – it is important to include this section in the article to help counteract the opposition ideas or questions that may arise from the argument being presented. Then a writer’s hypotheses will pop up in the reader’s mind when going through the article to help increase the chances of the reader taking the writer’s side and agreeing with him or her.
- Conclusion paragraph – this paragraph should highlight, in brief, the major points that the writer has explained in the entire persuasive essay. The final sentence should be structured in such a way that it will leave a long-lasting impression in the reader’s mind and provoke a feeling of urgency in handling the topic under discussion as per the writer’s idea or action. It is in the conclusion that you should give your stand clearly on the topic.
How to achieve persuasive essay writing
Persuasive writing aims at persuading the readers to agree with the idea that the article writer is putting forth in his or her write up and getting the readers to take the same stand as that of the writer. Persuasive writing employs the art of convincing and persuasion. The persuasive article hence has to be captivating, precise and backed up by tangible evidence that increases the chances of winning over the target audience. Persuasive articles are simply more of written debate, but in this case, the writer only focuses on building on one side of the topic at hand, that is, either for or against the topic being written on.
Significance of persuasive essay examples
It is essential to go through a persuasive essay sample or several samples as it enables you to be able to perfect your skills in writing. By going through an example, you can be able to understand where the writer went wrong and correct the mistakes in your work. There are several sources where you can get access to these samples, such as journals, articles, and magazines. You can also add up to your writing techniques by reading various persuasive articles. Most of the stories written in newspapers are usually persuasive to convince the readers of the happenings described there. The readers of the newspapers have to believe in the story being outlined in the paper due to the language of persuasion used by the publishers, so you are likely to improve when you go through such examples and apply it in your writing.
Good persuasive topics for persuasive writing
It is preferable to choose a good topic while writing your essay. A good topic will enable you to come up with worthy content since you will not struggle with the description of your points. Choosing a good topic is a precondition of success. For writing essays, you should choose a topic, which you are comfortable with, and you can express yourself confidently. It is difficult to be persuasive on a topic which you are not comfortable with in the first place. Confidence comes with the topic you select. You should go for a topic that has sufficient evidence to support your claim. The main aim of a persuasive essay is to convince the audience, and therefore you should be able to achieve the same by giving relevant illustrations, so choosing the right topic is important for your success.
Need Help With Essay Writing?
Don’t have time or inspiration for writing an essay? Deadline is pressing? Don’t panic!
Our company offers the best essay writing service on the web and is always ready to help with your task! All our writers hold either a college or a PhD degree and are well experienced in writing all kinds of essays. Simply click the button to get help!