How to Write a Thesis Statement for a Research Paper
All existing types of essays have an outline to ensure that the reader can understand everything.
You have to know how to define and formulate a thesis in an essay as various kinds of essays have different formats of writing. You have to know the parts of a thesis statement for a research paper you are writing. In a research essay, it is essential to have a guiding sentence because it guides the reader on what the research is going to cover.
Getting to know what is a thesis statement
Before you get to actually writing down the text of your essay, you have to know what is a thesis. It is a short sentence that is composed of what is going to be covered in the body You can come up with it through applying your judgment on a certain topic. A thesis statement for a research paper must state the major points, which the body will be about. You should be able to use the statement as an attraction for the reader towards your work. Most of the students do not understand the importance of this statement, and so they end up writing a sentence that constitutes a lot of descriptions, which is not correct.
It should be a summary of what you are to cover in the body paragraphs of your essay; you should not be wordy in your contention. The statement should be arguable to attract the reader to the body. When you simply write the facts, the writer would not see the essence of proceeding to the rest of the work because they will have gotten what they were looking for, but with an arguable statement, they would find a reason to look into your work and concentrate.
Thesis statement format (tips)
Different papers have different formats of the contention statements. It is good to identify the type of essay you are working on before you proceed to write your introduction. There are different types of essays that you should be aware of. Some of the common essay types include:
- Expository essay – this essay mainly involves a lot of explanations; it is more of an informative essay, where the objective of the writer is to educate their readers about a certain topic. Most of the writing in this essay is usually factual and constitutes evidence.
- Argumentative essay; this essay is mainly based on matters that bring confusion, and the writer is required to clarify the point to the reader. In this writing, you have to bring out a claim and support it satisfactorily.
- Analytic essay – in this essay a point is broken down into smaller units and an evaluation conducted.
- Research papers; a research essay is writing that requires one to gather facts about a certain topic and develop an essay on those points.
Having known all those different types of essays at your fingertips, you can easily encrypt your statement to fit your targeted essay. For a research outline, it is the premise that guides the reader on your explanations; the main objective is usually to get information about a certain topic. It is very simple to know whether someone has attained the necessities of the a certain research topic;, the examiner will go through your proposition and know whether you are out of topic or on the right track. The same applies to your lecturer, when they give out a topic for research, they have certain points that they expect you to write in the topic and these should be reflected in the supposition. To come up with a strong thesis outline for your essay, you should note the following:
- You should have proof in your supposition; you should include evidence so that the reader can be convinced on what you are going to talk about.
- Mention your points of support – you should state the importance of your essay in the proposition so that the reader can be motivated to continue reading. After mentioning that, your task will be to support it by illustration and evidence.
- A good proposition should have a clear direction on the points to be discussed in the body. By reading your hypothesis, the reader should be able to know what you are going to describe in the incoming paragraphs. All the body paragraphs should work to support your main idea (premise).
- You should be able to answer a question: where does the thesis statement go? A good introduction should constitute a premise statement to be complete. It is good to place the statement at the very end of your introduction so that the reader can be able to link it well with the body.
As a rule, the introduction normally provides a small background about the topic; then the hypothesis clarifies what to expect in the body hence it is a good transition to the body. In case you place the statement somewhere at the beginning of your introduction, by the time the reader gets to the body they would have forgotten it, that is why it should come immediately after the introduction.
How to develop a good thesis outline for a research paper
A well-prepared outline is a kind of a roadmap on how you should organize your work. A hypothesis usually conceptualizes the points to be written in the body for your essay. It is good to have an order for your premise; it makes your work look nice and boosts the clarity of your work. To come up with an organized thesis, follow the following:
- Proceed to the claim – you should bring out your argument clearly. A good example is writing an essay about unemployment in the society. In this paper, you can put it this way: unemployment has several effects on the society as it increases the crime rate, and the reader would definitely want to find out more about the ways in which the lack of jobs increases crime rate.
- Come up with terms that suit the title. This means that you are supposed to choose vocabularies that suit your topic and figure out how you are going to apply it in your sentence.
- You should start your sentence with a major idea on the topic. By doing this, the reader would be able to know that indeed they are heading to the main agenda of the essay and hence will be prepared psychologically.
- Lastly, you should proofread your statement to ascertain yourself that you have covered all the major points in your body.
The next step is to write your body, then after you have finished, you can re-visit your proposition, and if there is a point that you came up with while writing, you can include it.
Hints on the thesis statement formula
In writing your statement, you have to pay attention to key points such as:
– A proposition should be concise and to the point – you should avoid a lot of explanation in the sentence since the proposition should be one sentence long; preserve the descriptions for your body paragraphs. If you write a lot of words, you end up confusing the reader.
Use good grammar – what facilitates understanding of your statements is good grammar. You have to be keen on grammar and spelling errors if you want your work to be readable. To be certain of your work, take time to go through your sentences after writing them so that you can correct errors.
Be certain to attract the attention of the reader – the reader should find it interesting reading your work. To attract the reader’s attention, you can apply different techniques: first, know how to create suspense in your statement by not giving out everything in the introduction. Second, you can touch on a point that is most interesting in brief, so that the reader would want to know more about it by proceeding.
The proposition should state your stand on what you are talking about. For a research paper, you have to put it clear to the reader why do you support a certain idea. You should be persuasive in your description to win the reader to your side.
You can check the uniqueness of your text using our convenient Free Plagiarism Checker for Teachers.
Importance of thesis statement examples for research papers
Going through samples of contextual statements is good as it enables you to advance in your writing skills. In today’s world, the internet provides access to various resources where you can get research writings with well-written propositions. When you read the work of other writers, you can be able to note some errors and make rectification when it comes to your own. A good example of a proposition statement for a research paper is that from an essay on effects of pollution on our health; pollution has various health effects on both humans and wildlife in today’s world.
It is good to get exposed to different research topics so that you can learn how to design your proposition to suit different papers. You can also access these examples in news items such as journals, newspapers, articles and even educational magazines. You should also participate in essay writing competitions for research papers so that you can advance your skills in formatting your premise because every research paper has a thesis statement.
Don’t have time or inspiration for writing an essay? Deadline is pressing? Don’t panic!
Our company offers the best essay writing service on the web and is always ready to help with your task! All our writers hold either a college or a PhD degree and are well experienced in writing all kinds of essays. Simply click the button to get help!