How to start writing a book – A Short Explanation
Books consist of different genres: science fiction, satire, drama, action, adventure, romance, mystery, horror, art, cookbooks and much more.
How to start a book actually?
Here are some simple steps to get you started:
- Determine what your book is going to be about – identifying the theme of your book is the most important step in coming up with a book. This will enable you have a systematic flow of ideas and how you are going to come up with the storyline, characters among other important components of the book which will all sum up to getting a captivating write up that will actually capture the reader’s attention and leave them feeling that the money they spent in purchasing the book was actually worth it. Be sure to come up with an idea or storyline that is new, very different from all other books out there and something not very complicated for you to write and express or for the readers to comprehend.
- Setting a reasonable daily number of word to achieve- starting is always an issue and difficulties arise due to other commitments such as family, job and much more. That is why having to achieve a given amount of words in a period of set time is really important as it keeps your book going and prevents procrastination. Make it attainable at your own comfort time creating that momentum.
- Identify your target audience – it is evident that there are different and diverse interests. People of different ages, social status, ideologies, life experiences, personalities have different perspectives to life and hence what they choose to read will surely be different. To get the idea, it’s very essential for the writer to go through different already published book reviews. By merging the stories, it helps the writer to achieve a great flow in terms of a very new and great captivating ideas.
- Try getting that prior feedback- it hurts to have to rewrite a book that you thought was awesome only to get bad feedback that kills your morale as a writer. Earlier feedback can be from trusted friend and family members.
- Determine the type of writer you will be – there consists two types of writers; plotters and pranksters.
What you need to know and how to be a writer
Before you become a writer, it is good to identify your area of specialization. Plotters are those writers who take a long time organizing their ideas, say weeks or months planning on what to jot down ahead of time. The advantage with being a plotter, one has a strong flow of his/her story hence it’s so hard to get stuck, it takes a shorter time to write the story as the writer has his steps smoothly defined.
Plotters are so restricted to their already formulated ideas. Hence if he/ she wants to change the story even slightly, it will mean redoing the entire plan hence really tiresome at times. Pranksters, on the other hand, are those writers who get their ideas as they write. They have vague or a little bit of what they are going to write about. Pranksters simply play with their content and characters, hence letting their story flow as they write subconsciously. Their advantage is they can always find a way out if they get stuck hence flexibility.
However, the fact that they have vague ideas makes them get stuck more often leaving most projects abandoned for new easy ones.
Accept negative energy – failure is part of our daily lives, as a writer always be ready for criticism, low sales, negative feedback because it’s part of growth and sustenance. That should even give you much more motivation to further your work than kill your dreams as you can’t be perfect and man is to err.
Find resources to publish your book.
Budgeting is an important factor to consider as an author. Budgeting your money and resources enables you to know the absolute amount needed and therefore the profits that you will incur once the book is in the marketplace.
Time is costly, writing your masterpiece is free, but the problem comes with publishing it. This also involves promotional services, getting an editor, proofreader, and cover designer. Hence needing some investment.
Get the view of experts on your book
By experts in your book we mean a person who has the knowledge or who is skillful in your particular genre. He/she has majored in that area for a long period and hence is greatly experienced in the field and can make corrections or give you a review on an expertise point of view.
All this are important elements to have at the back of your head as you collect ideas on how to begin writing. The research enables you to have a large perspective of what is required in the market at that particular time, society and your audience’s interests.
Give yourself the timeline on the research and begin writing.
Too much of something is poisonous. Too much research is as bad as is good for your writing. Most of the time authors lean on research hence leading to procrastination. Research can always be an on-going process for you as an author. Begin the flow and keep collecting ideas along the way to avoid losing interest.
Setting a time limit as a deadline for your research is very important. You want to have just and not too much for you to start and keep going preventing you from over-editing your first ideas.
How long does it take to write a book?
As a writer time management is very key because it will determine the length and quality of material that you will come up with by the end of the day. Mind mapping the flow of your own story in advance is very important and this may even a little more time than the writing stage. This involves ‘hands-on tools’ more writing with paper and pen than typing.
- Setting your timelines.
This involves planning on what number of words you need to achieve as an author in a particular period. Having a clear understanding of the number of words published in the market for shorter books, typical novels and so on.
Are you an everyday kind of a writer?
Setting the reasonable targets that you sure of achieving. This can be simply done using a calendar.
- Have that messy sketch of your ideas.
It’s hard at first to get the whole idea out on a clean sheet of paper, but it acts as an excellent starting point. The guideline will enable you to have an easy time as you write your books it acts as a great reference.
- Time management.
Having an already fixed timeline for your write-up is a start. It depends though if you are a full-time writer or you it part-time and having commitments such as family, a job can be a distraction.
- Following up on your day to day progress.
Have that daily word goal as a must achievement for you as a writer. Take it as a self-expectation and then see how much you can reasonably achieve without so much strain.
- Take a short break.
After weeks and weeks of working on your draft, it’s best to leave it completely untouched for a while. Later review sessions should then follow to correct the previously unseen mistakes.
- Do more drafts of your story outline.
Rewriting your story outline helps in patching up greater problems due to further research. In the process, check for originality, capturing your audience on the introduction, no clichés, unnecessary adverbs and adjectives, weakest points and so on.
Tips for writing a book
When writing a book, the idea of every author is to capture any reader’s attention. For your book to get great sales out there, a writer should consider certain aspects as he/ she writes the material. A goodbook writershould follow the following steps to writing a book.
Those certain catchy aspects include:
- Ensuring your introduction is a bomb – for every book, the first thing that take the reader’s attention and gives them that motivation to continue unravelling more pages is the introduction. Making your start boring means no one is ready to get to the end, it becomes a struggle.
- Throw a few proverbs here and there – this also includes other English aspects such as great verbs, non-technical terms, makes it catchy to the reader.
- Make your story original and captivating- the flow should be noticeably authentic. It gets boring when the reader of your book gets to determine the end of the story in the middle of the book. Bring that twist and make it saucy.
- Your story should be what your readers can relate to, or at least nothing too much imaginary. Create ideas in your book that give an awe to your audience. That is so important.
- Your characters should be a bit real and involve all of them in your story. Making your characters active from beginning to end shows you are an experienced writer.
- Make a book that you would want to read yourself
- Try being very creative in your book.
- Non-fiction books does not mean that they should be poorly written. That art should also be applied here. Try communicating your message to the reader.
- Ensure as you write, you stick on your genre from beginning to the end, keep the flow going.
- There is so much to look on, but at the end of the day take care of your physical and mental health as writing requires so much energy than you think.
The need of an editor.
Editors are professionals who help turn your piece into a great story that can be enjoyed by readers. Outsourcing help is of great need in your book writing process. Though you might have re-read, edited several times…it’s Sometimes hard to notice the tiny mistakes in your story. The presence of an editor eases removal of roadblocks hence saving on time. This will involve money for hire and time needed for the review.
The need of a proof reader.
You should know how to write good in order to avoid common errors. After writing you need to go through your work. This can be done personally but it’s time-consuming, and one tends to overlook the mistakes which include typos majorly. Proofreaders might include your trusted friends, members of your family and this won’t cost much but still should be budgeted for. But ensure they are so keen and very interested.
Formatting and publishing your book.
Formatting is all about ensuring your manuscript looks professional, and the presentation is kind of consistent regarding your layout and size of the text. Good design of your book makes it easy on the reader’s eyes.
Introduction of photos, illustrations and diagrams are really important as an add-on children’s books as it brings that aspect of life in a book.
Use of the best printers – capable of printing high quality black, white or colored pictures is also a necessity for formatting.
Use of Microsoft Word is a recommendation, take a look at your page formatting and setup (allow set-ups like introducing a one-inch margin on the top, bottom, and sides).
Formatting also involves looking at your header and footer, page arrangement, individual page titles and so much more.
In publishing; designing your book cover, methods of distribution, budgeting on the printing costs. And before you publish your masterpiece, it’s really necessary to have your copy for you to proofread your work for typos and spelling before you are ready to send it to the market. When you did, you will see that all your efforts are worth.
The end of your efforts.
You will tire as it takes too much time and of course mental and physical energy.
Perfectionism should not be in your mind as you write your book. There will always be that difference between what you had as an idea prior and what you are just ready to publish and it that can always be solved.