Tips How to Write a Letter of Intent for Graduate School or Job
How to write a letter of intent properly
A letter of intent is usually needed when seeking a job, gaining admission to an academic institution or seeking for partnership in business. It is very important that when you write a letter of intent, you should write it well and clearly state out what you are after or seeking. Usually, letters of intent are used as a way of introducing oneself and bringing out that personal interest in one’s application.
A letter of intent when well written gives merit to your application and also provides details on why you are the best person to be considered for the post. It should be sent alongside one’s resume when asked to present one. Letters of intent are about simple to write if one follows a few steps.
- Before embarking on writing the letter of intent, it is advisable to read through all the instructions given, and look carefully at all the requirements for writing a letter of intent and if necessary note down the information required for the said letter. You can visit the company or the academic institution’s official website to check out on the requirements.
- Find out about the name and exact address of the person receiving your application. You can inquire about the information you require. When addressing the letter of intent, you need to be as specific as possible.
- Note down what information you will need to write in your letter of intent. This information can be your personal details, your past achievements and accomplishments. Include what you are planning to do for the given institution and what your experience can do to improve the latter. Your letter of intent should be as detailed as possible outlining your objectives, the skills you possess and what makes you outstanding from the rest of the applicants.
- When you are writing the letter of intent start by introducing yourself. When applying for a job name the profession you are in, the post you are interested in and to whom it may concern. Make sure your letter of intent addresses the specifics. Name the institution or company to which the letter is being submitted to.
- State out your qualification. Show your mastery of knowledge in the said field.
Here you should write about:
- State your reasons for writing the letter of intent. Give information on how you got to know about the vacancy and why you are interested in the said position.
- Highlight your accomplishments. Be confident to state your achievements. Tell whoever is reading it, why you are the best fit for the position be it in agraduate school or company. You can use the skills or experience relating to that program. Be authentic and honest too.
- Praise the institution to which you are writing to. Give reasons to why you chose them over their competitors.
- Request for a reply. Show that you are interest for an interview. You need to include your address in the letter so that it can be easy for you to be contacted.
- After you done writing your letter, you need to proofread and edit it. Check out for any spelling and grammatical errors. You do this while also preparing the final draft. Make any change where necessary and checking out for repetition. Ensure everything are in a chronological order and is sensible. Make sure you have written down all the requirements.
- After all is done its time to submit, your letter. This you have to attach with other documents that are required.
What is a letter of intent?
A letter of intent for a job is sent with accompaniment your curriculum vitae. This is the chance to create a positive impression with your potential employer. For your letter to capture the attention of the reader, it has to be well written. State all your qualifications, experiences and accomplishments.
State your reasons why you are interested in the job and why you are the best option and not the rest of the people applying for the same job. A well-written and presented letter of intent can help you land for an interview.
Proper use of letter of intent format
When writing a letter of intent, there is a template to be followed to achieve the best.
Start with a professional greeting. You may need to know the name of the person you are writing to if it is an individual. If they are many people to which the letter is being addressed to you can use a general term for example “to whom it may concern.” If you are unaware of who to address you can call the institution to inquire.
- Introduce yourself.
Begin writing your letter of intent by telling the reader who you are and what your reasons are for writing. If you are applying for a job post, say so. Explain your liking in working with the organization and which is your area of interest.
- State your achievements and qualification.
Mention your skills, accomplishments, awards that you have attained. Highlight your knowledge in the said field. Mention why you are the best choice for them. This is your chance to sell yourself do it confidently but surely. Be honest, it matters.
- Request for a reply.
Show that you are interested in the position they are offering. You can follow up your application if the organization allows it. If not just mention that you are looking forward to their response. Don’t forget to give your contact address.
- End your letter of intent.
When ending your letter give it a professional touch. You can close by stating “sincerely”. Don’t forget to write your signature.
You can use leading writing services to Get Your College Papers Written by professional writers.
Example of letter of intent
It is advisable for one to go through different letters of intent samples. This is because you get to see and learn how different people write letters of intent. Look out for several examples be it a letter of intent for a job or letter of intent to gain admission to an academic institution. Reading through different letters of intent has some benefits to those planning to write one in the future. We will mention but a few.
- It advances your skills in writing- different people have different qualifications and experiences in different career fields. Reading through the examples helps one to know how to go about writing one. We all want to be the best, so this is the chance to get the idea of writing strong letters of intent.
- Reading through different examples gives one an overview of what letters of intent is all about. You get hints and tips on what letters of intent contain.
- It will also help one clearly articulate your past achievements, your goals, and interests. Reading through examples helps one communicate with the reader about what they have achieved and what makes them outstanding.
- Reading through sample letter of intent helps one know the language to use in writing letters. It will help one improve in their grammar skills and hence prevent future embarrassments.
Below is a letter of intent sample
The principal Texas Academy,
June 15, 2018.
I am Elsy Brian and am writing to express my interest in the position of a teacher in your school as listed on your school website. Following my ten years of experience, I have unbeatable skills in both oral and written communication and leadership too. I believe I am the best fit for the position at your school.
With ten years of experience in teaching different students I know, I can nurture well trained and disciplined students who are ready to enter any career field. I have built my teaching career in teaching students to be better leaders and better at problem-solving. I am very passionate about teaching, and I use up to date materials in teaching and also ways of problem-solving. I have won best teacher of the year award three times. I believe my leadership skills; good communication skills place me in a better position to take up the position.
I look forward to hearing from you.
Written samples are very important when it comes to writing of a letter of intent simply because as we have seen, when you go through the work of another writer you get to understand how to arrange your points.
Presentation is very key when it comes to this letter because you are trying to impress your potential employer and make them believe that you are the right person for the job. So, for you to improve, you need to get exposed to different examples and abide by the tips given above.